Friday 7 October 2011

Rain Delay

Oct 4th

We holed up in a hotel in Eureka to sit out the rain, we searched the weather stations to find sunshine in the state of California, we even contacted our timeshare company to check on availability around the state - all to no avail :(

We are really wanting to get back to the simplicity of tenting, where boiling water and making campfires are the highlight of the day.  But tenting in the rain is just no fun, so we have to be content with some more hotel time - at least it will be in a very beautiful little town with a huge New England feel.

Mendocino, California


Settled by New Englanders in the 1850's this town is now an artisans utopia.  But even more important (at least to me) is the fact that it is "Cabot Cove" of Murder She Wrote fame.  Any of you who watched that show as faithfully as I did will recognize Jessica's (aka Angela Lansbury) house:


Amazing, eh??  I was soooo excited to find it.  Not that it took much effort - it is now a B&B, the Blair House.  I absolutely loved the show and was tinkled pink to find myself right there - right at the scene of the crime!  I could practically feel Jessica and Amos at my side  :)

And as with my previous posts, I'll the you decide for yourself on the magnificence of this beautiful section of the coast:






Notice the blue sky??  and the reflection of the sun on the waves???  Oh yes - we did find some sunshine.  Day one in Mendocino was pretty wet (nasty actually):


Day two was partly cloudy with occasional showers and DAY THREE????  Clear skies - yeaaaaaaaa!  It made a very special place absolutely amazing!!  More details on the Stanford Inn to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment